Forgive me if this question was already asked before.
I just installed Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 2014. I want to create a database so I can start building some tables from scratch. All I am getting is the ability to connect to a database. Not create a new database.
Warning! SQL Server 14 Express, SQL Server Management Studio, and SQL 2014 LocalDB are separate downloads, make sure you actually installed SQL Server and not just the Management Studio! SQL Server 14 express with LocalDB download link
How to select a local server:
When you are asked to connect to a 'database server' right when you open up SQL Server Management Studio do this:
1) Make sure you have Server Type: Database
2) Make sure you have Authentication: Windows Authentication (no username & password)
3) For the server name field look to the right and select the drop down arrow, click 'browse for more'
4) New window pops up 'Browse for Servers', make sure to pick 'Local Servers' tab and under 'Database Engine' you will have the local server you set up during installation of SQL Server 14
How do I create a local database inside of Microsoft SQL Server 2014?
1) After you have connected to a server, bring up the Object Explorer toolbar under 'View' (Should open by default)
2) Now simply right click on 'Databases' and then 'Create new Database' to be taken through the database creation tools!
install Local DB from following link https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42299 then connect to the local db using windows authentication. (localdb)\MSSQLLocalDB